State of the Compiler

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 28 18:40:53 PST 2016

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:13:28 +1300, Rikki Cattermole wrote:

> I have to suggest this, but how much work do you believe it would take
> to switch over to sdc's frontend instead? (Keeping in mind it isn't
> compiling much right now).

Not impossible, just difficult.

The first step is to catch SDC up to the latest DMD release. That's for
what it compiles, what it errors about, what it warns about, and ddoc, at
a minimum. That's for FreeBSD, Linux, OSX, and Windows.

After that, we keep SDC up to date with DMD for some amount of time. We
announce that we're cutting over and people should migrate their PRs to
SDC.

In the meantime, the SDC team is just porting changes from DMD to SDC.

Refactoring in place means your PR might need changes to apply correctly,
but it won't need to be rewritten from scratch. It's far less of an
interruption.