State of the Compiler

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 29 18:54:03 PST 2016

On 1/03/2016 7:18 AM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Monday, 29 February 2016 at 00:10:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> 5. convert back end to D.
>
> What's the status of this? When the ddmd switch happened, Daniel Murphy
> was saying that a similar transition in the back end would take about
> six to eight months.

The actual conversion process is pretty straightforward.  The big issue
is that converting would mean losing the dmc test suite which is our
best way to test the backend.

The plan is to dump the test suite to IR, then set up a way to run the
IR through the backend and check the output hasn't changed.  Then we can
start actually converting to D.  I have a PR for some of this open.