A suggestion for modules names / sharing code between projects

Sebastien Alaiwan via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 29 22:33:06 PST 2016

Hi Mike, thanks for taking the time to answer.
If I understand you correctly, you're advising me to keep my file
hierarchy mostly in sync with my module hierarchy (except for one
potential leading "src/" or "libs/" that I would add to the
import search directories). That's fine with me.

However, what's the point of having module declarations
directives in the language then?

If I understand correctly, the only way to make an interesting
use of these directives makes separate compilation impossible.

I know dmd is lightning-fast and everything, and not having to
manage build dependencies anymore is very attractive.

However, we still need separate compilation. Otherwise your
turnaround time is going to resemble a tractor pulling
competition as your project grows. Recompiling everything
everytime you change one module is not an option ; Some of the
source files I work on in my company require 30s to compile
*alone* ; it's easy to reach, especially when the language has
features like templates and CTFE (Pegged anyone?).