State of the Compiler

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 29 23:00:43 PST 2016

On Monday, 29 February 2016 at 23:25:45 UTC, Chris Wright wrote:
> The second part is an argument against circular dependencies
> between projects. Phobos depends only on system libraries,
> libcurl, druntime, and dmd, and it's unlikely to add your
> project written in D as a new dependency.
>
> I'm not sure how that translates to "never use phobos".

It translates to the same thing for any major project as it does
for the compiler. If phobos isn't stable enough for the compiler,
then it isn't stable enough for any major project.

All we need is a stable release, lock the compiler development to
that release (add a conditional check for it). For archival
purposes all that is needed is to ensure that the executable
image of this stable release can be run in an x86 emulator.