std.experimental Timeline

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 1 12:10:22 PST 2016

This topic is a bit complicated because idea of introducing
std.experimental came from Andrei but without any specifics. At
that time I was doing most of Phobos review queue bookkeeping and
I had to propose some formal process to respect Andrei desire (I
personally was against the concept).

Thus the original formal process was looking like this in my head:
     - initial voting only decides if proposed module is needed in
Phobos at all and if author looks competent enough to get it
finished
     - any time release beta starts std.experimental module author
can ask review manager to start voting for final inclusion
     - this voting becomes true quality and stability control
point - reviewers/voters have to decide if API and implementation
are good enough to get frozen
     - if voting fails, proposal is kept in std.experimental until
all issues are addressed and process repeats again

Idea of any "automatic" inclusion is very harmful because by
current standard std.experimental modules are not required to
have Phobos quality and can be very far from being good enough.

What makes things most complicated is that I don't do review
bookkeeping anymore and no one else (including Andrei himself)
have been willing to take control of the process since than.