D forbearance(Official backing of libs)

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 1 17:39:58 PST 2016

On Saturday, 2 January 2016 at 00:20:37 UTC, Jason Jeffory wrote:
> If the D community could decide to officially support(with a
> distinct web page for such things) such libraries, real
> progress might be made.

They've attempted this before. DWT was crowned the official
library for a while and got its own forum
http://forum.dlang.org/group/dwt a note on the home page, etc.

Never really went anywhere though. Of course, they never really
aggressively marketed it either.

Every so often, Andrei asks me to put my libs through the formal
process to be included in Phobos. I'm actually not inclined to do
that for a lot of reasons, including the slowdown such a thing
would bring to me.

See, with me doing them myself, I can unilaterally make changes
at any time. I've gotten bug reports and had a fix live inside
ten minutes. Phobos doesn't, and probably can't, work at that
kind of pace. And if it did get other contributions, there's a
good chance I'd lose my mental model of the code and be slowed
down by that. Bottom line, if my libs were to join phobos, it'd
probably end my involvement in their development.

(I'm also sure my code would never pass the rigor of technical
review anyway. I use tabs.)