Unclear about the benefits of D over C++ and Java

Dibyendu Majumdar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 2 03:31:24 PST 2016

Hi,

I am a long time observer of D but have never done any coding in
D. I have considered using D several times but have ended up
either going with C++ or Java.

I feel that for someone like me it is not clear what significant
advantages D has over C++ or Java to make a switch. I cannot
afford to experiment with a language unless I know for certain
the benefits of using it.

For instance I would like to know:

* Do D compilers generate more efficient code compared to C++
compilers? Are there performance benchmarks comparing D
implementation against C and C++?

* Can D generics do everything C++ templates can (are they Turing
complete for instance) - and what additional capabilities does D
have that would make a significant difference to the way
templates are used in C++?

* How does D's performance compare with Java when it comes to
concurrent applications or garbage collection?

* How stable is D? Can one use it without fear that the next
version will significantly change the language and therefore one
would have to rewrite?

I feel that the D website could do more to explain why someone
should move from C++ or Java to D - and this has to be explained
in terms of real world benefits in terms of:

* Performance
* Quality of implementation

For someone like me - cool language features don't count that
much unless they lead to real world benefits.

My post here was triggered after watching a video by Andrei where
he talked about how D generics are different from C++ templates -
I think stuff like that needs to be explained in the front page
of D website.

Regards
Dibyendu

http://ravilang.org