Proposal: Database Engine for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 2 06:38:39 PST 2016

On Friday, 1 January 2016 at 11:37:40 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> (*) Arguably Scala takes this too far.

Btw, regarding operator overloading:

Your comment about Scala made me think about the proposals for
Algol which allowed the language to be heavily extended with even
custom operator precedence IIRC. Interestingly, the Pony authors
have decided that most operators should be explicitly grouped
using parentheses, they argue that most programmers fail to
remember precedence. I think that is mostly the case, especially
with the somewhat flawed C precedence rules.

Related note, I find this tongue-in-cheek comparison of Go and
Algol68 is quite entertaining:

http://cowlark.com/2009-11-15-go/

I think older languages such as Simula67, Algol68, Beta, ML etc
still are quite interesting objects for study. It is scary how
little progress have been made in the past 30 years...
Fortunately some people are preserving books in PDF format.

http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/ALGOL/book/Lindsey_van_der_Meulen-IItA68-Revised.pdf