extern(C++, ns)

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 2 21:19:58 PST 2016

On 3 January 2016 at 14:54, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

In addition to that rant, extern(C++) seems to fail at forward referencing.
Any time I have 2 modules that refer to eachother, suddenly the order of
everything is critical. I can sometimes resolve these problems by moving
imports out of the global scope, but often it's terminal, and I need to
restructure everything in awkward and unnatural ways to break the stalemate.

I know I'll just get complaints from people to submit bugs; I have submit
lots, and in many cases, I've tried to, but they're almost impossible to
produce in isolation, only when a project gets 'real', ie, big enough that
it's realistic in scope does it all start to break down. It's really hard
to reduce a bug that I don't understand, somewhere among a program with
30-ish interconnected modules. It's worse when the structure of the project
is unnatural, a requirement forced by the namespace issue, and everything
is already really brittle as a result.

The thing is, it almost all comes back to the pseudo-namespaces (sprinkled
with weird forward referencing issues). Maybe it sounded good at the time,
but it doesn't work in practice. If that was fixed, then we'd stand on
solid ground, and it might be possible to reduce bugs and move forward in
that environment.