Unclear about the benefits of D over C++ and Java

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 3 01:55:14 PST 2016

On Sunday, 3 January 2016 at 04:25:55 UTC, israel wrote:
> But maybe its just me, maybe im too young to know the olden
> days of the 80s/90s where C++ was a godsend compared to C. Or
> was it? I dont know, i wasnt alive...

C++ was hyped up in the press and commercial sector because it
provided abstraction mechanisms on top of the existing C
infrastructure. But most academics viewed C++ as an ugly hack
back then, so it was no God send. Many programmers viewed it as
bloated and inefficient, and it kinda was because compilers could
not beat hand optimized C code (or: computers were too slow to
make good compilers practical).  So C++ was more of an
application level language than system level language.

That is still true, but today CPUs are fast, bottle necks are
more in the memory system/multi threading, CPU internals are less
transparent and programmers have less optimization skills...
Which paves the way for high level programming languages like
Swift.

Modern C++ is tolerable and fairly decent, but it will take a
proficient programmer years to master. The big issue with C++ is
that you also need to learn what _not_ to do, by trail and
error...

C++ is not a language that one can reasonable select for a
one-off project, it's a language for experts only. Unlike Python,
Ruby, Swift or Go.

Maybe D2 is becoming a language for experts too at this point. A
stronger focus on consistency and ergonomics would be beneficial.