TIOBE December 2015 - D rose 5 positions

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 3 07:58:21 PST 2016

On Sunday, 3 January 2016 at 12:43:13 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 1 January 2016 at 23:12:39 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
>> doesn't seem very reliable
>
> TIOBE is completely unreliable. It's basically a hoax, IMO. I
> guess the company only keeps it alive as a means of marketing
> for their services.
>
> Languages like "D" and "rust" will have so many false
> positives...
>
> Github gives a better perspective on actual engagement outside
> the close source commercial sector.

Github has the same problem, btw.  I recently spent some time
going through the top repositories in this list, and it's
surprising how many are miscategorized as D, despite having the
source:

https://github.com/search?l=D&q=stars%3A>1&s=stars&type=Repositories

For example, this one:

https://github.com/2youyouo2/Flash2Cocos2d-x

On Sunday, 3 January 2016 at 15:23:51 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 January 2016 at 15:17:46 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> Also, is there a company like Sociomantic on that Go list, ie
>> built on the language primarily and externally valued at a
>> couple hundred million dollars?  Of course, Sociomantic could
>> be a one-off special case and they're still on D1, but a bunch
>> of corporate dabblers in Go doesn't say much.  You'd expect
>> that of a simpler language that's currently hyped more.
>
> docker
> twitter migrated most of their backend to go from python
> a ton of google stuff uses go now
> etc

I don't know much about Docker: is most of their stack built on
Go, as opposed to a few key components?  Also, they value their
company at $1.1 billion, but that's  an _internal_ valuation.
Nobody external has ever valued them that much, as they're still
private.  They're attracting a fair amount of VC investment, but
that's actually a negative.

I thought twitter was on Scala, :) I don't think anybody knows
what grabbag of languages they're currently using.  Also, their
valuation keeps dropping like a rock, down two-thirds from its
peak a couple years ago.

Google is certainly not built on Go.

etc