TIOBE December 2015 - D rose 5 positions

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 4 00:34:06 PST 2016

On Monday, 4 January 2016 at 05:47:40 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> according to github, which has nothing to do with D (there are
> several more miscategorized like that, look at #22 in the above
> list).

Yes, DTrace files also end with ".d"...

> Those are good hypotheses, not sure you can say OSS usage is a
> good _indicator_ yet, especially since I wouldn't say Go has
> taken off.

I think it has, it might taper off early and be displaced by
Swift, but it seems healthy. Rust appears to have hit an early
plateu.

> You seem to have gotten that quote from the README for the OSS
> project, but we were talking about the stack at Docker, the
> company.

I have no idea. They appear to have both Go and Python projects
on Github, and some other languages.

> I think D has a real complexity problem, so anything we can do
> to make it simpler _while still maintaining its power_ would be
> welcomed.

That's a good starting point! :)

> You think there were more hours billed by programmers for
> javascript in 2015 than any one of Java, C, C#, or C++?  I
> doubt it.

Yes, I think Java and JavaScript are on top.

> On the contrary, I suspect that we've passed "Peak JS", with
> WebAsm about to cripple it.

How come? I would expect new programmers to be focused on
JavaScript as they grew up with the less dysfunctional
implementation.

I don't think we are anywhere near "peak js". WebWorkers are
coming now, and they change the game by providing isolated
threads with fast message passing of heaps/arrays. Which I think
is pretty good.