Proposal: Database Engine for D

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 4 04:28:47 PST 2016

On Mon, 2016-01-04 at 08:29 +0000, rsw0x via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> compiler plugins like Rust to enable AST macros could fix this
> but walter and andrei seem extremely opposed to any form of
> macros so we end up with ugly heavily templated ugly band-aids

Rust may have macros, in fact it has two sorts, but they are not as
useful as you might at first think.

The macro system as in Rust stable is not up to the task of doing code
generation such that you can replicate PyTest's pytest.mark.parametrize
decorator in Rust. The compiler plugins that would allow this are only
allowed in Rust nightly and are forbidden in  Rust beta and stable.
Rust nightly is effectively a totally different platform to Rust beta
or stable, which is undermining the Rust platform.

I must now try creating a D version of the pytest.mark.parametrize
decorator – unless someone already has and I have just missed it.

> shame, because I think D will quickly lose their lead in the
> metaprogramming area if Rust keeps it up - e.g, someone already
> made a GC Plugin for rust's compiler

I think Rust and not C++17 is the biggest threat to D just now.

I am still intending to rewrite Me TV in D.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk