TIOBE December 2015 - D rose 5 positions

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 4 12:25:09 PST 2016

On Monday, 4 January 2016 at 11:12:49 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> I don't think Go's even hit the second tier yet, ie python and
> ruby, certainly not in the first tier with Java and C, though
> tough for such a young language to get up there.

Well, Go and Swift are the two languages that are having a steep
increasing curve on Google Trends. The other languages are either
flat or going down (Java and C++).

I think the curve matters more right now. People don't want to do
manual memory management and want simple syntax and decent speed,
but not necessarily optimal speed (80% is good enough?). That's
what I perceive anyway.

> WebAsm will provide some form of concurrency also.  Further,
> there are plans to eventually provide access to the DOM and all
> web APIs

Yes, but it will take like 2-5 years before it gets adopted.
WebWorkers are getting available now. (I am using it already.)

> Javascript use was driven by its monopoly in the browser, but
> that's soon going away.  The most common reason given for using
> it on the server was to use the same language on the server and
> client, but that reasoning will now work _against_ javascript,
> as you'll be able to compile your server language to WebAsm
> instead.
>
> That will cripple javascript, and full access to the DOM from
> WebAsm will kill it off.

I don't know. EcmaScript7 with TypeScript gradual typing might
turn out to beat other scripting languages like Lua, Dart and
even Python, Ruby...

I am thinking of using WebAsm for the application engine and
TypeScript + Angular2 for user interface.

Unfortunately I don't know of any suitable WebAsm runtime-less
language. D3 maybe? :)

> Of course, the entire web stack could be obsoleted in the
> meantime, which I think is actually the most likely outcome.

In 20 years.