TIOBE December 2015 - D rose 5 positions

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 4 20:19:33 PST 2016

On Monday, 4 January 2016 at 20:25:09 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Monday, 4 January 2016 at 11:12:49 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> I don't think Go's even hit the second tier yet, ie python and
>> ruby, certainly not in the first tier with Java and C, though
>> tough for such a young language to get up there.
>
> Well, Go and Swift are the two languages that are having a
> steep increasing curve on Google Trends. The other languages
> are either flat or going down (Java and C++).

Because they're much higher up.

> I think the curve matters more right now. People don't want to
> do manual memory management and want simple syntax and decent
> speed, but not necessarily optimal speed (80% is good enough?).
> That's what I perceive anyway.

That's D's corner of the market, it was there long before Go and
Swift came after it. :) Of course, D doesn't get the hype and
automatic usage that those languages get because they're from
Google and Apple, but quality wins out in the medium-term.

>> WebAsm will provide some form of concurrency also.  Further,
>> there are plans to eventually provide access to the DOM and
>> all web APIs
>
> Yes, but it will take like 2-5 years before it gets adopted.
> WebWorkers are getting available now. (I am using it already.)

Maybe not 4-5, but yes, they're over-engineering a lot of this
stuff and adoption will take years.

>> Javascript use was driven by its monopoly in the browser, but
>> that's soon going away.  The most common reason given for
>> using it on the server was to use the same language on the
>> server and client, but that reasoning will now work _against_
>> javascript, as you'll be able to compile your server language
>> to WebAsm instead.
>>
>> That will cripple javascript, and full access to the DOM from
>> WebAsm will kill it off.
>
> I don't know. EcmaScript7 with TypeScript gradual typing might
> turn out to beat other scripting languages like Lua, Dart and
> even Python, Ruby...

I have not looked at ECMAScript 7, but I have difficulty
believing any variant of javascript can ever beat out most of
those other scripting languages on the server.

> I am thinking of using WebAsm for the application engine and
> TypeScript + Angular2 for user interface.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know of any suitable WebAsm runtime-less
> language. D3 maybe? :)

I'm sure it will be pretty easy to recompile D2 to WebAsm using
ldc, as llvm will support it, so ldc can be easily modified to
support it.

>> Of course, the entire web stack could be obsoleted in the
>> meantime, which I think is actually the most likely outcome.
>
> In 20 years.

Unlikely, did you read that Tim Bray article I linked last summer?

https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2014/01/01/Software-in-2014

Any time a tech gets so bloated and complex, it's ripe to be
unseated by something simpler.  Look at how Windows made no
headway on mobile and Intel has almost no share in smartphones,
largely because they haven't been able to get their power budget
down.  The bloated web stack is long overdue for similar
disruption.