What are you planning for 2016?

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 5 06:07:52 PST 2016

I know I'll be doing a few web programs in D (already have the
contracts so it is increasing in priority even now). I'll
probably be expanding my css tools for my other job too.

For non-work stuff, it all depends on how much time I have, but
the basic list is:

1) the doc thing I've been talking about endlessly

2) improve D error messages. dmd "no template matches" and
druntime "RangeError" are both sucky because they don't tell the
user important facts the computer knows.

3) write a cocoa implementation for simpledisplay

4) get minigui up to 1.0

5) finish at least one of my games

> What other languages do you think you will use or toy with in
> 2016 and for what purpose?

I'll still be using Ruby, Python, Java, and of course, Javascript
for other work things too.

> What would it take for you to use D instead, or what changes
> would be needed for you to move from language X to D?

My D program for work has a major component in Java which I just
wrote last month because I wanted to use a major Java library and
it was easier to just write it right there than mess with JNI or
whatever.

If D had the same Java interface out of the box, or the same
cutting-edge library I might have use it there too, but meh, idk.
It is just a simple server that spits out XML - something Java is
very good at.