What are you planning for 2016?

Kapps via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 5 07:55:36 PST 2016

I have a couple of libraries I was intending to make that were
waiting for either language changes or other technologies that
should be doable in 2016.

I was thinking of trying to make a GUI library that's similar to
Xamarin Forms, but with D and using something other than Xaml for
the UI markup. The goal would be full data-binding support with
various backends (Qt being the most likely one, and maybe native
Android / iOS bindings). Proper extern(C++) support should help a
lot here, though sadly I'll still have to make a C wrapper
library since we can't use C++ constructors yet. Now that Android
/ iOS development is getting practical, the lack of a mobile GUI
library is going to be an issue, so the purpose of this would be
primarily mobile with hopefully desktop support as well.

Also might look at trying to make a game / engine using Vulkan
with a high performance Component-Entity-System approach. Have
the CES bit started, but was waiting on Vulkan support which
seems to be coming soon. The (probable) lack of OSX support will
be very annoying though.

In terms of commercial, I have a very small business starting
which will hopefully be able to make use of D for at least some
small web APIs. I think vibe.d should be a good cross-platform
solution for easy deployment behind an existing web server. Plus
vibe.d is quite nice and I think D has the unexplored potential
to be a fantastic solution for dealing with databases, with
support for things like Partial objects being doable very nicely.