What are you planning for 2016?

thedeemon via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 5 14:18:22 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 at 12:27:12 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> I wonder what kind of programming people plan or _hope_ to use
> D for in 2016?

Right now I'm using D to make the next major version (2.0) of my
company's most known product - a video processing app called
Video Enhancer. Some part of it will remain in C++ (some
DirectShow filters) but the main app is all in D, including
working with DirectShow via COM and GUI using DlangUI.

> What other languages do you think you will use or toy with in
> 2016 and for what purpose?

Recently I played with Dafny and I liked it, probably will try to
use it for verification of some of my algorithmic code here. We
also have some projects in C++, C#, Idris, Haxe and OCaml, many
of which will continue to evolve.

> What would it take for you to use D instead, or what changes
> would be needed for you to move from language X to D?

Intel compiler, please. ;)
Or at least some good story for SIMD on Win32. Although I didn't
really check how good/bad D is now in this regard.