Evolutionary Programming!

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 6 02:49:45 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 6 January 2016 at 10:09:57 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> Brookes noted long ago that new language design would yield
> diminishing returns:
> http://worrydream.com/refs/Brooks-NoSilverBullet.pdf
>
> That and the fact that hardware/OS vendors have incentive to
> push entrenched languages to developers, I don't see something
> too shocking happening in the language space.

"no silver bullet" is an anecdotal meme from the 80s. The only
"insight" it provides is that we cannot engineer out the need for
good designers. That's rather obvious, isn't it?

The problem is that we don't express the designs. We express
minutiae.

This isn't how the Egyptian pyramids were built. You had
architects that gave the overall vision, and lots of workers
doing the minutiae.

There is no reason for not letting the computer do the minutiae.
Just like robots are doing minutiae in factories. You need the
skilled designer, yes. Do you need all the factory workers? Not
really.