Redesign of dlang.org

Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 7 01:02:47 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 6 January 2016 at 11:35:12 UTC, anonymous wrote:
> Also check out http://d-ag0aep6g.rhcloud.com/

It is improving!

About the "Your code here" box: I accidentally had your page and
dlang.org side-by-side with the same "Round floating point
numbers" example, only yours had the inline comments stripped. I
think the comments add a lot of value, and would advise to leave
them in. I know this design looks bad when that box gets too
high, and I think we would need a solution that allows examples
with more lines without the length of the example affecting the
layout of the page. Here are a few ideas (without knowing whether
they would be doable or not):

   1. Box with fixed height and a slider to scroll the contents.
   2. Manually resizable box, much like the edit field in the
online forums, with a slider when necessary.
   3. Box clipped to a fixed height (possibly with fade-out effect
at the bottom). It could be expanding dynamically on mouse-over.
The buttons would probably be best to have at the top.
   4. The drop-downs in the "Why D?" section work very well.
Similarly, the box could be clipped as in 3 and expand on click.
Encourage clicking on it by having a big "Play" button on it as
you see on video's -- or something similar.

I hope you'll find a practical and attractive solution.

Bastiaan.