Redesign of dlang.org

anonymous via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 7 09:55:38 PST 2016

On 07.01.2016 16:33, welkam wrote:
> in http://d-ag0aep6g.rhcloud.com/
>
> comunity, learn, documentation and packages are redundant. They either
> should be in meniu or not on front page. And if there are redundant
> links they should be in footer.

I'm not sure if redundancy is to be avoided here. I think the redesign
took a lot of inspiration from <http://ocaml.org> which has the same
preview snippets of the different site sections. Personally I could do
without them, and I wouldn't mind if we decide against them, but a
little tour around the site and direct links to the interesting parts
may help people find what they're looking for.

> Now documentation.
>
> anonymous:http://d-ag0aep6g.rhcloud.com/phobos/std_algorithm_iteration.html
>
> Me playing around:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ofJyypw1tGa29aTGNVQVJQcVk/view?usp=sharing
>

> Open them both and just look at them for 10 sec. Dont scroll because I
> put 0 work after License:. Just look at them and write which one has
> bigger strain on you eyes.

I'm not sure what you want me to notice. Differences I see:

* different shade of red throughout,
* heading is red,
* no "Jump to" links,
* links are not underlined,
* less horizontal lines on the table.

Regarding the specific shade of red: I don't really care about any exact
colors. I'm not usually doing visual design, and my monitor is not
properly calibrated.

Re the red heading: I'm against coloring unclickable stuff the same as
clickable stuff. I'm guilty of doing this with the signature boxes: the
red border on the left and the documented symbol are red but not
clickable. I took that from the mockup, but I don't like it. If the
point of the red heading is to lessen the contrast, I'd suggest a color
other than red, maybe just some grey that's less dark than #333.

Re link underlines: I made a pull request for un-underlined links
before. The argument that made me abandon the idea was that it makes
things harder for color blind people. Note that already links are not
underlined in navigation areas where it's supposedly obvious that
they're clickable.

Re the jump links: I'm not sure if this is a deliberate change of yours,
or maybe it's just a problem with the JS. If it's deliberate, the
paragraph below applies.

Re the table lines: I didn't touch those. They're the same in my version
as on the current dlang.org. Generally, I'd like to leave improvements
that are independent of the redesign out of it.

If I'm missing anything you'll have to spell it out for me.

> IMHO everyone who is working on improving website should get on skype or
> hangouts and make a plan. Now Ivan made new design for documentation,
> anonymous also put some work, Adam is cooking something up. I smell lots
> of redundant work ahead

Aside from general visuals, I'm deliberately leaving Ivan's ideas for
the phobos docs out for now. Exactly because there's some turmoil in the
area. And because I want to wrap this up sometime soon. I think Adam's
work is pretty much independent from mine here.