Browsing D compiler source code

ZombineDev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 7 12:18:55 PST 2016

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 at 18:46:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/7/2016 9:21 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Thursday, 7 January 2016 at 14:32:32 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> The recent conversion of the D compiler source code opens up
>>> the practicality
>>> of using Ddoc on the code.
>>
>> There's been nothing stopping people from commenting dmd's
>> source in the past,
>> but it barely has any.
>
> Consider the state of Phobos docs before Ddoc. It was as badly
> documented as dmd source code is, or even worse. Ddoc
> revolutionized that. Putting the Ddoc results online produces
> quick feedback on improving the comments, hence is motivating.

Walter, I think that this is an important direction for
improvement of DMD and I would like to help. How do you envision
this to work:

=====

A) Local http server that you can start like so:
cd dmd
make serve-dmd-docs
browser 127.0.0.1:8080/dmd-internal-docs

B) Docs on dlang.org updated with every merged PR:
dlang.org/dmd-internal-docs (dmd stable branch)
dlang.org/dmd-internal-docs-prerelease (dmd master branch)

In addition to:
dlang.org/spec
dlang.org/phobos
dlang.org/phobos-prerelease

C) Something else?

=====

I suggest we start with option A) and later implement B).
A) should be relatively easy to implement with DDOX and later we
can extend
dlang.org/library to dlang.org/dmd-prerelease.

How does this sound?