std.stdio.File lacking range-based rawWrite

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 7 22:27:05 PST 2016

Today I was writing some range-based image-generation code, which
produces a range of ubytes representing the resulting image file.  To my
astonishment, there was no function in std.stdio that could spool this
range to a File.

Initially, I tried lockingTextWriter, but quickly discovered that the
resulting file was corrupt, because it's attempting to interpret binary
data as text.

Eventually, I came upon the naive solution:

	auto f = File(...);
	ubyteRange
		.chunks(bufSize)
		.map!array
		.each!(b => f.rawWrite(b));

This is rather allocation-heavy, so here's attempt #2, that allocates a
single buffer that's reused:

	void bufferedWrite(R)(R range, ref File dest, size_t bufSize = 64*1024)
		if (isInputRange!R && is(ElementType!R : ubyte))
	{
	    import std.algorithm.iteration : each, map;
	    import std.algorithm.mutation : copy;
	    import std.range : chunks;

	    ubyte[] buf;
	    buf.length = bufSize;
	    range.chunks(bufSize)
		 .each!((chunk) {
		    auto sizeLeft = copy(chunk, buf).length;
		    dest.rawWrite(buf[0 .. $-sizeLeft]);
		 });
	}

	auto f = File(...);
	ubyteRange.bufferedWrite(f);

What do y'all think? Is bufferedWrite (potentially under a different
name) worth submitting to Phobos?

If creativity is stifled by rigid discipline, then it is not true creativity.