TIOBE December 2015 - D rose 5 positions

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 8 10:01:39 PST 2016

On Friday, 8 January 2016 at 04:10:58 UTC, Joakim wrote:

> OK, not a full C competitor, but taking some of the
> higher-level work.  I think D could take all of C's domain,
> Walter certainly knows how.

He has categorically refused to add volatile or VLA...

> Yes, which is why many apps that are debuting now are native
> mobile-only, their devs can't be bothered with arcane and
> inefficient legacy platforms like the web. :)

Which ones? The only one I know of are either redundant or
involves payment. Developing for mobile is maybe 8x more
expensive than web...

> You could always splice in the debug info if you're debugging,
> right?  I saw some talk on their github about using DWARF or
> some other debug format: they're considering those tooling
> issues now.

Depends on browser vendors...

> A scene graph jammed into an antiquated document layout, then
> stylesheet and scripting languages mashed on top: what could go
> wrong? :D

Uhm, not sure what you mean by that. Qt, cocoa etc are more old
fashioned...
You also have WAI requirements... Required by law!

> Complexity kills.  Try searching the Chromium issue tracker for
> "painting" and see how many issues pop up:

I experience this once every two years. Usually fixed in less
than a day.

> I suggested something completely different in my post, chucking
> the web stack altogether and starting from scratch.  The
> incremental approaches you suggest cannot really change much.

Did you provide a novel solution?

> Sounds like you're joking, but I was surprised to find that the
> torrent client I ran on my Android tablet ran really fast,
> better than the one I tried on my laptop.  There's a p2p wave
> coming, that will kill off most of this stupid cloud stuff, and
> take down the web stack with it.

You cannot rely on static IP address.

> Let's see, I present arguments why it will happen, while you
> simply state that it cannot.  Who is it that's thinking
> wishfully here? :)

Statistically unlikely when you reach critical mass. The web has
more critical mass than any other IT infrastructure.

> I'm not sure what you mean by the web going down that path, but
> I'm talking about not sending GUI info whatsoever, ie going
> back to something like plaintext email, where users simply send
> messages back and forth and the client figures out how to
> render it.

Wont happen as long as there are business opportunities in
creating islands. Only works if open source destroy the market.
Ref the web.