What are you planning for 2016?

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 8 11:46:31 PST 2016

On Friday, 8 January 2016 at 08:24:59 UTC, Jakob Jenkov wrote:
>> I've just finished with the initial version of my project to
>> embed R inside D. Hopefully now I can convince other
>> economists to use it.
>>
>> I might put together a simple web interface (using D of
>> course) that will improve my research collaboration efforts.
>> The earliest I will have time to work on it will be the summer.
>
> How does this work? Do you write R programs which are executed
> by a D program?
> Or do you call functions in D which corresponds to R functions?

Either direction. Earlier I wrote dmdinline[1]. You can write
small D functions and call them from R. It works well on Linux,
but not on anything else. That makes it hard to collaborate.

In the other direction, you write a D program with an embedded R
instance as with RInside. You do anything you want with your R
interpreter. Importantly, it works on all OSes that run R.

The communication is the easy part. The time consuming part is
converting R objects to D objects and vice versa. I've had to
learn the internals of R at the same time that I've learned D.
I've been working on it in my spare time for more than two years.

[1] https://bitbucket.org/bachmeil/dmdinline2