TIOBE December 2015 - D rose 5 positions

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 9 06:01:20 PST 2016

On Saturday, 9 January 2016 at 13:43:09 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 January 2016 at 10:13:01 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> On Saturday, 9 January 2016 at 04:24:05 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> How is it "political?"  My prediction is entirely geared
>>> around hardware and software realities.
>>
>> No, businesses don't want P2P, client-server is the ultimate
>> dongle...

Copy protection. Anti-piracy measure in hardware.

> I've used it in a couple different countries, it's surpringly
> good.  Not 100% accurate, but no map is.

It is good enough for inner-city, but not as a pedestrian looking
for shortcuts, going for walks/biking in the forest/mountains or
driving in rural areas.

> They're already dying now, feature phone sales have been
> dropping for years, as smartphones take over that market

Yes, the sales are dropping, but feature phones last longer (or
people hand over when they get smart phone). So usage is higher
than the sales suggest.

> So nothing important changed about the web technology itself,
> you're just impressed by its success?

I has changed dramatically over the past 5 years.

> The OSS Mosaic prototype was very important in spreading the
> idea in the beginning.  But it had almost no impact on the
> subsequent _rise_ through regular users, which all happened
> when they left university to form Netscape.  If they hadn't
> built a company to drive it, it would have gone nowhere, just
> as we see many OSS projects doing today.

Well, I don't think that is true. But Flash or something like it
would probably be a lot stronger.

> No, you'd still have been going online through proprietary
> networks like Prodigy, CompuServe, AOL, or The Microsoft
> Network: :)

Or maybe there would have been a market for commercial browsers,
like Opera.