What are you planning for 2016?

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 9 13:40:02 PST 2016

On Saturday, 9 January 2016 at 19:39:44 UTC, Jakob Jenkov wrote:
>> The communication is the easy part. The time consuming part is
>> converting R objects to D objects and vice versa. I've had to
>> learn the internals of R at the same time that I've learned D.
>> I've been working on it in my spare time for more than two
>> years.
>
> Would it have been possible to make a D API for data analysis
> instead? Or is that too big a job?

You could program anything in D that would run in R and it would
probably be faster (unless the R code is using some optimized
C/C++ code already). The issue is that D libraries for data
analysis aren't as developed and don't have as many people
working on them as R. You might be more productive calling an R
library than re-writing the same functionality in D.