Anyone using DMD to build 32bit on OS X?

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 10 14:15:58 PST 2016

On Sunday, 10 January 2016 at 17:12:40 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> I've implemented native TLS in DMD on OS X for 64bit. Now the
> question is, does it need to work for 32bit as well?
>
> The easiest would be to drop the 32bit support all together.
> Other options would be to continue to use emulate TLS on 32bit
> or implement native TLS for 32bit as well. I would prefer to
> not have to do this for 32bit as well.
>
> As far as I know we haven't released a 32bit binary of DMD for
> a very long time. It would be very rare to find a Mac that
> cannot run 64bit binaries.
>
> Native TLS on OS X would mean that the runtime requirements for
> the binaries produced by DMD on OS X would be OS X 10.7 (Lion)
> or later. Hopefully that should not be a problem since it's
> several years (and versions) old.

I'm using 32-bit support of DMD and I would strongly prefer if it
wasn't removed. At least staying the same as today.

The problem is that I don't control what bitness users want,
because of network effects some users still use 32-bit software.
Every product in this space is Universal Binaries with both
32-bit and 64-bit arch.

You can drop OSX 10.6, which is not officially supported anyway,
it would bring compat the same as LDC. No problem as far as I'm
concerned, very few people are using 10.6 (at least that's what
they say in polls).

I have a question, does your work solves shared libraries leaking
after unload, or is it unrelated? :)