extern(C++, ns)

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 10 19:14:25 PST 2016

On 1/10/2016 6:54 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It would seem that name resolution is more complex than normal, and it
> gets complicated or breaks in edge cases. Then I need to spend time
> trying to understand how it is that my case is complex, and trying to
> workaround it (or produce sufficient examples).
> But the whole dance is pointless. If we could just recognise that the
> ns scope only increases complexity, there's no good reason for it, and
> there's no opt out.
> Just let the symbols be exactly where they're declared like any
> regular D code, and if you really want this namespace scoping feature,
> can we take that as a separate enhancement request and discuss/design
> it? I'd suggest it should be opt-in, since I can't imagine a case
> where I would ever want that behaviour.

I'd like to distinguish what's going wrong:

1. a bug in the implementation
2. a bug in the design
3. a bug in your mental model of how it works
4. unawareness of a feature in D designed for the situation

before throwing it all away and rebooting the design. Note that I have been able
to help you when you've got an example illustrating the issue you're having.