[dlang.org] getting the redesign wrapped up

wobbles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 11 07:12:26 PST 2016

On Monday, 11 January 2016 at 15:06:40 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 11 January 2016 at 14:54:12 UTC, wobbles wrote:
>> How else would you lay it out?
>> I dont think you could put all the content in that top bar
>> pre-expanded - so you'd have all the menus on the left as it
>> is on the current site?
>
> I think the left menu on the current site is of limited value
> too. It is really hard to find what I'm actually looking for.
> (The organization is weird. To me, "D reference" and "standard
> library" ought to be the same, for example, and why is bug
> tracker under community?)
>
> I'd prefer to simplify it to like 5 menu items, each of which
> leads to a new page that can further break it down, using the
> whole screen to lay it out.
>
> Really, one of my biggest worries with dlang.org isn't the
> color scheme, but rather I feel like everything is cramped and
> content takes a back seat to cramming it all in. That's not to
> say we need infinite whitespace like so many new sites, I just
> don't think everything needs to be on every page.

Yeah, I really dislike the over use of whitespace in current
trendy sites. And the constant scrolling down to view more info
is annoying too (I know CSS z-layer animations are cool, but they
dont need to be everywhere!!).

Well, while the website is going under such tumultuous changes,
is now not the time to fix all the above? Clean everything up and
put everything under sane headings/sections etc?