TIOBE December 2015 - D rose 5 positions

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 11 08:32:24 PST 2016

On 08/01/2016 18:34, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/7/2016 5:32 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 16:52 +0000, Joakim via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> Sure, COBOL is still around on some mainframe somewhere too, but
>>> almost nobody knows it exists! :D
>> But those that do get £150k+ and almost all are over 60.
>
> I'm a little surprised that there aren't more young programmers seeing
> that money and learning some COBOL. It's not a hard language.

First, if a developer is working in banking, they are likely to be able
to earn a big salary regardless of language. It's common for a senior
Java developer to earn a £150k+ salary, here in the London banking
sector. I doubt a junior COBOL developer would earn anywhere near that
much, the banks would still want vast COBOL experience, not just knowledge.
So yeah, lets say a COBOL job would earn you 20-30% more than an
equivalent Java role in a bank. Would it be worth to spend 2-5 years
working in a COBOL role for that extra money, and racking up COBOL
legacy experience, with the risk that in some years the technology might
become obsolete? (unlike Java, for which the development experience
woulds till count a lot for, in other ares) Well, maybe yes, maybe no,
hard to say. Also depends on personal preferences of the developer.

Also, the fintech sector is propping up, with a bit of luck these
outdated banking IT system will be a thing of the past soon. See for
example: https://getmondo.co.uk/

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros