std.experimental.yesnogc

rsw0x via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 13 18:04:54 PST 2016

On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 00:35:53 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Hey folks, I want to push things forward with artifacts
> dedicated to avoiding the GC, and of course my main worry is
> finding the right name.
>
> An obvious choice is std.experimental.nogc but we know from
> Marketing 101 that expressing something as a positive is better
> than a negative. Another possibility is std.experimental.rc,
> but that's imprecise because the artifacts in there will
> contain a variety of things in addition to reference
> counting-related artifacts.
>
> Ideas?
>

> Andrei

std.experimental.mm ?
mm => memory management

It would be interesting to know what you plan on putting in
there. There's a few functions that duplicate utility in Phobos
but one allocates and the other doesn't — e.g, lineSplitter.
lineSplitter is 4-5x faster than the equivalent GC
version(splitLines) according to my benchmarks.

I think one of the bigger issues with Phobos using the GC isn't
that it uses the GC, but many functions allocate far more than
they need to. I've seen Rust referred to as too focused on memory
management(in fact, I think it was you that referred to Rust as
this) but I think D sometimes goes in the opposite direction
making it too easy to forget about memory management and just
allocate everywhere because it's very implicit.

Bye.