std.experimental.yesnogc

Meta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 13 18:21:12 PST 2016

On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 00:35:53 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Hey folks, I want to push things forward with artifacts
> dedicated to avoiding the GC, and of course my main worry is
> finding the right name.
>
> An obvious choice is std.experimental.nogc but we know from
> Marketing 101 that expressing something as a positive is better
> than a negative. Another possibility is std.experimental.rc,
> but that's imprecise because the artifacts in there will
> contain a variety of things in addition to reference
> counting-related artifacts.
>
> Ideas?
>

> Andrei

Aside from that, naming it std.experimental.nogc is a bad idea
because it'll
confuse newcomers, thinking it's somehow related to @nogc...
Which it is, but
we don't want people importing std.experimental.nogc because they
think they
need to do that to use @nogc.

Ideas:

std.experimental.gcless (still negative)
std.experimental.gcfree
std.experimental.realtime
std.experimental.pausefree
std.experimental.manualheap