[dlang.org] new forum design - preview

Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 14 03:48:46 PST 2016

On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 05:46:55 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 03:55:23 UTC, Meta wrote:
>> On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 02:56:03 UTC, Vladimir
>> Panteleev wrote:

>>> The navigation sidebar has been made narrower. How does it
>>> look now?
>>>
>>> We can make it a bit narrower still by removing the redundant
>>> "About this forum" link. I don't think that 100%-width is
>>> great, as above certain line length readability suffers.

Readability is subjective and depends on the reader. Line length
should not be the concern of the designer, but of the user who
should have control over line length by adjusting the width of
the browser.

>> There's a good 30% of the screen or more that's not being
>> used, and this is only on a 1920x1080 monitor.
>
> Well, I would argue that this is not a problem that needs
> fixing. There is just no content to fill in that space. Making
> the posts themselves fill all available horizontal space does
> not help readability either.

I don't agree, I like the width of the old forum better.

I have a large monitor and don't read full screen. So my browser
is sized comfortably. Nevertheless, the new design wastes space
and I'm feeling cramped...