Choosing D over C++, Go, Rust, Swift

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 14 08:08:24 PST 2016

On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 15:32:10 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 14:40:05 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 13:47:39 UTC, Dibyendu
>> Majumdar wrote:
>>
>>> I did find that I had to go through many articles, video
>>> presentations etc. to form my conclusions - it would have
>>> been nice if there was a single page on the D website that
>>> explained why D should be chosen over the other competing
>>> languages. The information is all there but scattered all
>>> over the place.
>>
>> Do you have specific suggestions for improvements? The
>> difficulty is predicting where someone will look for that
>> information.
>
> I think a prominent Link saying - Why choose D? on the home
> page. and maybe initially this could take to another page with
> links to articles, videos etc. But longer term it would better
> to have a more structured presentation of the benefits. Example
> - show with examples what can be done with D templates that is
> hard or not possible with C++. And similarly with other
> languages.
>
> I would suggest very aggressive 'marketing' of D advantages.

You're right, D's not very good at marketing.  On the other hand,
have you ever found what you're suggesting on any other
programming language's website?  I haven't, so they're all in the
same boat, each one as bad as the next.

Of course, there's the argument that programmers who try out new
languages hate marketing, so not having much traditional
marketing is itself a form of "marketing" for that audience. :)
In that case, you're one of the few who wants to be marketed to,
and you may be out of luck. :D