On Dub

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 17 07:34:13 PST 2016

On Sun, 2016-01-17 at 12:39 +0000, rsw0x via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> It wouldn't be a very big change to just adhere to $DUBPPATH if
> it exists, which seems to be your major gripe about Go vs Dub.

My gripe is that Dub is neither Cargo (doesn't have install, compiles
in the project) nor Go (installs to a known place determined by
environment variable, compiles to a known place – or a transitory place
somewhere temporary).

Currently I am favouring the Go way rather than the Cargo way.
Obviously SCons and CMake have a far better story on all this making
and installing, but they do not do dependency management.

If Dub was changed to use environment variables to specify where
compilation products went rather than just putting it in ~/.dub, and
there was a way of installing executables to a place specified by an
install variable, then things would be nicer.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk