topN using a heap

Ilya via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 18 17:38:18 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 19 January 2016 at 01:04:03 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 1/18/16 7:46 PM, Ilya wrote:

>>> The default RNG is seeded with unpredictableSeed. What is the
>>> point
>>> you are trying to make?
>>
>> unpredictableSeed is initialized only once and can be easily
>> estimated.
>> --Ilya
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/blob/v2.069.2/std/random.d#L1120
>
> unpredictableSeed uses MinstdRand0. The sources of randomness
> used for initializing MinstdRand0 are the PID, the thread ID,
> and the system time at the moment of the seeding. Then at each
> subsequent call to unpredictableSeed, the time of the call is
> XORed with the current value of the MinstdRand0.
>
> How do you think things could be improved?
>

> Andrei

A good variant with minimal overhead is to call unpredictableSeed
for sorting big arrays each time (one seed per array):
    a. A hacker would not able to estimate a seed using other API
calls. For example, "give me a set of random numbers".
    b. A hacker would not be able to estimate a seed using a small
arrays because they don't use RNGs. (and they have not any
overhead!)
    c. A hacker would not be able to estimate a seed for big
arrays, because attack based on time measurement would not work
for big arrays.

Ilya