rval->ref const(T), implicit conversions

bitwise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 19 10:03:05 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 19 January 2016 at 17:48:24 UTC, tsbockman wrote:
> You are obviously confused about either about how template
> instantiation works in D, or about the mechanics of pass-by-ref
> versus pass-by-value. I'm not sure which.

You are confused. You don't seem to be able to distinguish
between indifference and lack of knowledge. I'm not here to
analyze the finer points of you wrapper thingy that no one will
ever use.

> I have no idea why you keep trying to argue with me about the
> language design. I already agreed it would be better to just
> directly support passing rvalues to `ref` (or preferably,
> `scope`) parameters in the compiler.
>
> But again, I have ZERO control over this. I am not the one you
> need to convince - Walter and Andrei are.

We need a consensus, not one person to convince Walter or Andrei.
The more people that get on board with this, the more likely it
is to actually get fixed. You don't have ZERO control over it,
you have one vote.

The more that people try and hack their way around this problem,
instead of speaking up about it, the less likely it is to get
fixed.

     Bit