extern(C++, ns)

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 19 13:11:31 PST 2016

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 20:35:17 +0000, David Nadlinger wrote:

> On Tuesday, 19 January 2016 at 20:03:47 UTC, Chris Wright wrote:
>> I'm kind of surprised that people are insisting on complaining that
>> there's an additional namespace that's trivial to ignore […]
>
> That's not what's happening here. At least when this thread was started,
> it was not at all possible to just blissfully ignore them.

I'm testing with 2.069.2, which was released on 3 December. This thread
started on 3 January.

Looking back through the archives, it seems like Manu's initial complaint
implied that C++ namespace functionality was entirely broken, whereas a
few posts later it came out that it usually works but there are some
potentially complex cases that break.

I'd understand if people were saying that C++ namespaces as D scopes are
currently broken and it's simpler to remove them as D scopes than to fix
them. But I'm seeing people saying that this is just a bad feature in the
beginning, something that is a blight upon the language, and removing it
in the absence of bugs is not only right but essential.