extern(C++, ns)

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 21 02:12:13 PST 2016

On 21/01/2016 9:15 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/20/2016 8:38 AM, Marc Schütz wrote:
>> IMO his description was already quite clear, but here you are:
>
> What's missing is why this is a *serious* problem. All you've got to do
> is add a qualifier.

The *serious* problem is that the added scope does not appear to add
practical value, yet has a non-zero cost.  And yes I've seen your
example with two same-named symbols in the same module, but I really
don't understand why *that* is a serious problem that the namespace
scope is worth introducing to solve.

And I am not personally arguing for D modules mapping to C++ namespaces
- the alternative feature I have in mind is extern(C++, "namespace")
affecting mangling and *nothing else*.