[dlang.org] Let's talk about the logo

rsw0x via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 23 11:03:11 PST 2016

On Saturday, 23 January 2016 at 15:41:43 UTC, ronaldmc wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 January 2016 at 01:23:20 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Because maybe you don't read too much (outside programming),
> you can easily find the term being used on open source. i.e:
>
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/dictators_free_and_open_source_software
>
> And it's not new, there are old articles like from 2004:
>
> http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/2004-08-17/linus-torvalds-benevolent-dictatorship
>

>>[...]
>
> You don't need to draw for me that you're an user as much I am
> and if you're writing something of course it's your opinion.
>
> I'm out for now, I'll don't reply anymore.

It's actually a very common term in FOSS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_dictator_for_life

D is indeed Walter's ambition, and D2 is Walter/Andrei's. They
have put the most effort into the project which is why their word
gets the most weight, but I disagree with the notion that
everyone else is shut out.