Choosing D over C++, Go, Rust, Swift

Dibyendu Majumdar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 24 04:04:58 PST 2016

On Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 13:47:39 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:
> I wrote recently that I am looking at an alternative to C++ for
> a project currently being coded in C++. I am pleased to say
> based on preliminary investigations I have chosen D over Go,
> Rust, and Swift.

> 1. D appears to give me all the power of C++ - and in
> particular even greater power with templates.
>
> 2. D code is cleaner, more traditional (Java and C like), and
> easier to read and understand than some of the alternatives. Go
> is simpler of course and also easy to follow - but that is
> because it is a small language. I dislike the new syntax of
> Rust as it seems gratuitously different and (in my view) hard
> to read.
>
> 3. D gives me all the low level control while at the same time
> giving me the ability to write code at a higher level. C++ is
> similar but the other languages are all restrictive in some way
> or other.

Hi - just to give you an update. After trying to get some simple
tests working for the past few days I have concluded that while D
is the best choice for my project (after C++) - D's
implementation and tooling is not mature enough yet for me to
spend effort on a port. So I will defer the move to D to a future
time - but my intention is to do other work in D related to my
OpenSource projects around Lua.

I really want to use D as a better C / C++ so am looking forward
to library developments that better support a style of
programming that relies less on GC. Its not that I don't like GC
- but I feel that the reasons for my using a language like D or
C++ is control - else I would use Java or Swift or Go.

Regards
Dibyendu