What's the real support that D offers for web development?

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 24 06:22:19 PST 2016

Am 24.01.2016 um 14:57 schrieb krzaq:
> On Sunday, 24 January 2016 at 12:20:44 UTC, nbro wrote:
>> I was wondering if D is a good language for web development. Which
>> serious with an active community web frameworks are there?
>>
>> I have heard about vibe.d, but I am not convinced. I think that many
>> people do not start using D because it lacks of many serious tools for
>> real life applications development.
>
> I'm afraid not, not for anything serious at least. The documentation is
> okay, but not great; greatly lacking examples.

Have you seen the example projects?
https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/vibe.d/tree/master/examples

> There is no built-in
> support for any real database engines and if you try to use something
> not built with vibe.d's fiber architecture in mind (even things from the
> standard library, like std.process) you're in for a world of random locks.

I don't know which database engines are "real", but there are fully
vibe.d compatible drivers for at least MySQL, Postgres and Cassandra.
Built-in solutions are requested from time to time, but the plan is
actually to go into the opposite direction and make the MongoDB and
Redis clients separate libraries.

There are several means to integrate traditional I/O code:
http://vibed.org/api/vibe.core.core/createFileDescriptorEvent
http://vibed.org/api/vibe.stream.stdio/
https://gist.github.com/s-ludwig/8434299

But this is a general issue with asynchronous I/O. You either need to
use it throughout the application, or offload blocking I/O into a
separate thread. Whether those difficulties are worth the trade-off in
comparison to the performance gains is of course a decision you have to
make personally/per project.