dub and debian packaging

ikod via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 25 09:08:19 PST 2016

Hello

I'd like to hear any opinions and best practices on coexistence
of dub and debian .deb packaging and deployment.

Here is my problem: I wrote some small library that use Pegged to
parse and process user requests. This library can be  used in
shebang-scripts on servers or can be statically linked to
applications. The first case require library code and
dependencies (Pegged in this case) be deployed on servers to some
well-known system-wide place like /usr/include/d/ so that any
developer can simply use line like '#!/usr/bin/rdmd --shebang
-I/usr/include/d` in his script.

And here is a problem: we (like many other) distribute our
software over our debian-based machines using standard debian
packaging system. There is no problem for me to wrap my library
into .deb. The question about Pegged or any other dub-based D
library - how do you think, what is better way to tie together
dub and deb-packaged software?

Should I use some postinstall scripts to fetch-build-deploy
Pegged to /usr/include/d/ using dub, or should I wrap Pegged in
separate .deb and include it dependencies in my library or any
other package relying on Pegged? For me the latter way is better/
but what is your opinion?