Vision 2016 H1

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 25 09:33:00 PST 2016

On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 16:02:09 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 15:45:09 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> That does not reflect the incredibly dull day-to-day army life.
>
> I don't think we should read *too* much into the words.

For individualistic people that have been drafted to boot camp
and experienced being stripped off their individuality and
drilled to blindly obey pointless "humiliating" orders by young
and dumb seargents the words evoke the wrong _emotions_. I was so
happy to put that part of my life behind me. It was a wasted year.

I don't have to read anything into the words. It is in my spine.
There is no way I can pretend that military role-play in a
supposedly productive environment isn't immature.

> Whether we call them collaborators or middle managers or
> lieutenants or what isn't as important as actually just
> defining what we actually want to do.

No, but it sends a message of what "generals" and "lieutenants"
imagine to be the ideal development process.

Which is something I have complained loudly about before. I think
it keeps D back. I think how you organize the process can have
massive influence on degree of volunteering, enthusiasm and the
quality of the decision-making.

If you take on the title "general" it does communicate something
about your mental model of the process. It is a very pompous
label that few normal adults would be comfortable with applying
to themselves outside a game world.

> In a few threads over the last few weeks, I've said that I
> don't want to be part of Phobos because it destroys my
> development flow and I've even gone so far as to fork Phobos
> itself and write a whole new generator to fix its documentation.
>
> The main reason is in my own projects, I know exactly what is
> expected of me to get stuff done and there's very little
> process overhead. This way, I can make the most of my limited
> time.

And that is an interesting perspective that sends strong signals
about a need to reconsider how the process can be organized so
that people feel less resistance in their own
productivity/satisfaction.

Evolving the process and motivational factors is a key leadership
role, right?