Vision 2016 H1

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 25 23:01:48 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 01:08:31 UTC, Meta wrote:
> No. The only part you may have had in ushering in @nogc is
> putting the idea out there (although I'm pretty sure Manu and
> Bearophile were advocating it long before that). @nogc was
> brought about because Johannes Pfau had the initiative to
> implement the framework for it and push it through. Otherwise
> we would still just be talking about it as a nice idea, and you
> would be bringing it up for the nth time with absolutely no
> benefit to anyone.

No. This isn't about the idea of "@nogc" or "better C", Walter
did those on his own. It was about convincing Walter that enough
people found the current situation not very useful for a
particular type of programming. It was about having many
viewpoints of how the GC situation was keeping D back. It was a
very long and heated thread with many people commenting on what
they needed to make better use of D.

Changes in D come from significant _vocal_ end user pressure.
That is the historical trend. And that trend is very clear.