Pre-alpha D language online tour

André via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 26 02:30:17 PST 2016

On Monday, 25 January 2016 at 21:53:26 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:

> Very nice work and very much needed!
>
> Found some errors:
>
> - http://dlang-tour.steinsoft.net/tour/basics/2
>
>   * "long, ulong (32 bit)" <= should be "64 bit"
>
>   * "real (depending on platform, 80 bit on Intel x64)" <=
> 80-bit on Intel x86 32-bit, not sure about Intel x86_64 and I
> think it depends.
>
>   * "A conversion between variables of different types is only
> allowed by the compiler if no precision is lost." => except FP
> types. eg: double => float.
>

> I think you have some room to introduce __gshared, I've seen
> one case on IRC with someone not knowing about it and wondering
> why threads read a different value.
>
> You already say that "slices" and "dynamic arrays" are the same
> thing, but I think this need to be put in bold. For the longest
> time I had difficulty to envision the difference between the
> two concepts, but there seems to be none. It happens some D
> material present them separately.

Thank you very much for going through the content! I integrated
your comments and they will be online very soon. I added a
paragraph for __gshared in the storage classes section and I
added a sentence to emphasize that slices and dynamic arrays are
the same. I am not sure about the latter so I might revise it
after sleeping some days on it :-) Thanks again! - André