Vision 2016 H1

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 26 06:35:53 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 14:24:57 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 07:18:43 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 04:57:11 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> It is amazing that D has gotten so far as an OSS project
>>> without commercial backing, a credit to the engineering sense
>>> of Walter and the core team.  But I don't think you can
>>> organize your way around that fundamental obstacle.
>>
>> I don't think that is accurate at all.
>
> Which part?  There's at least three statements there, one
> largely factual, one opinion, then a prediction.  It's unclear
> what you think is inaccurate, since you don't say.

I don't think OSS needs commercial backing to reach high
technical levels. I do think that many OSS projects spend too
little time on design and process, and well, design and
coordination is more challenging when you aren't co-located in
the same place.  I also think that often implementors take
leading roles in OSS, when that role should have been taken by a
designer/coordinator that would spend more time on leadership. If
you spend 10% leading and 90% coding then the leading part
suffers...

But there are tools we can use, if the issue was recognized.

> I wouldn't say D has pushed the difficult parts, and often

Memory management. Performant garbage collection. Coherent
semantics.

> implementing takes a lot of work too.  Obviously, the design is
> usually more important in the long-term, but the design "on
> paper" won't matter if nobody wants to implement it.

They probably would if there was consensus behind it, it was
solid, important and had a seal of approval.