Vision 2016 H1

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 26 07:12:27 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 at 15:02:51 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> OK, I finally know what you disagree with.  The fundamental
> problem is that without commercial funding, all OSS
> contributions are voluntary, usually done during their spare
> time, while focused design takes time, a lot of it.  Without
> commercial backing to fund that time, it is difficult for most
> to work towards that high level of technical design.  Perhaps
> that's why OSS devs spend most of their time coding, they want
> to focus what little time they have on getting some code out.

It is true that it is easier to jump in and out of "evolutionary
coding" than focused design, but that's more of a convenience
issue...

You can achieve a lot by cutting down the scope and use a divide
and conquer strategy. So I don't think it is the most limiting
factor, unless you try to implement an existing bloated standard
like C++ or HTML5.

> I don't think consensus has been the issue as much as time,
> which is the killer for any OSS or voluntary project.

I think one generally can get more done by having a design that
is ready and that is partitioned into "implementable units".
Design the APIs for a standard library up front, provide minimal
proof-of-concept implementation, let other people replace it with
production quality code.