C++17

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 26 12:40:50 PST 2016

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 19:04:33 +0000, rsw0x wrote:
> GC in D is a pipedream, if it wasn't, why is it still so horrible?
> Everyone keeps dancing around the fact that if the GC wasn't horrible,
> nobody would work around it.

Rather, if everyone believed the GC was awesome in all circumstances,
nobody would work around it. It could be awesome in all circumstances,
but if people believe otherwise, they'll try working around it. It could
be generally awesome but bad for a certain use case, in which case people
who need to support that use case will need to work around it.

In this case, I think it's a marketing issue, not a technical one. D's
being marketed as an alternative to C++, and existing C++ users tend to
believe that any garbage collector is too slow to be usable.